Friday, September 14, 2012

People at St. Mike's

Happy Friday everyone! Just thought I'd give you an update on some of my particularly exciting interactions with the people of St. Mike's.  Before I arrived on campus, I'd heard from countless people how kind the people are, and that statement is proven more right every day that I am here.  I so appreciate getting smiles from friendly faces around campus throughout my day, but here are some people who have stood out to me in the past week:

The Custodians - It is not uncommon for me to see one of the SMC custodians in the bathroom when I go to brush my teeth every morning.  I usually say good morning to them and leave it at that.  But last week, good morning turned into a lovely conversation which included my name, my major, where I was from, how long she'd worked at Saint Mike's, etc.  The custodian I talked to seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me.  Even though it was something little, it was such a great way to start my day!

Shuttle Drivers - Since I'm living on North Campus this year, I take the shuttle to main campus quite frequently.  The morning /early afternoon driver, Jim, is exceptionally nice and reminds me of my old bus driver from home.  He makes an effort to learn everyone's name and always says good morning and wishes me a great day.  The late afternoon/night driver is very nice as well.  The other day I was the only one on the shuttle so he asked me where I was from and then we had a nice conversation about New Hampshire and different places to shop there (no sales tax!).  It was so unexpected, which made it that much better.  Nowhere in the job description of a shuttle driver does it say anything about forming relationships with the riders, so the SMC drivers definitely go above and beyond, and for that I am thankful!

Professors - The other day before class, I was filling up my water bottle and noticed that the door to my econ professor's office was open.  I hadn't seen him since last semester so I popped my head in to say hi.  He immediately remembered who I was and many of the little jokes we made when I would go see him (countless times) during his office hours last semester.  That little interaction totally made my day!
On a semi-related note, earlier this week I turned my car on to find that my brake light was on.  Being from New Hampshire, I don't know any mechanics up in Vermont, so I e-mailed my econ professor to ask who he used, and he responded very quickly with a name/number of who he uses.  I haven't gotten my car fixed yet, but I have faith that when I do everything will be alright.  Knowing that I could e-mail my professor and ask such an abnormal question gave me a lot of comfort to know that even if I'm far from home, I'm not alone.

Work Order - Unfortunately, the shade in Emma's and my room fell down when I was trying to put it up the other day.  When you need any kind of maintenance in your room, you are supposed to place a work order on the Saint Mike's website.  I filled out the form on Tuesday night and when I got home on Wednesday the shade was fixed and there was a little note from the man who fixed it (his name was Bob) wishing us a nice day.  I was so impressed with how easy it was to fill out the form and how quickly the shade was fixed!

If anyone reading this happens to need it, here's the work order link.

Knight Chat - If you follow me on Twitter, you may know that last week I participated in my first Knight Chat, which is basically a scheduled time for prospective students to be able to ask questions and chat with current students about anything related to Saint Mike's.  I was a little nervous at first because I didn't know what to expect.  In addition, my laptop was acting a little weird so I didn't have my own to use.  Thankfully, one of the SMC staff members at the chat brought me a laptop and assured me that I could always use it at future Knight Chats if mine wasn't working properly.  By the end of the chat, I was feeling a lot more comfortable and having a blast answering various questions.  Hopefully I'll be able to participate in another Knight Chat soon!  If you are thinking about doing one of these chats, definitely try it - it's very informal and a great opportunity to have your questions answered.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me (mpoor@mail.smcvt.edu), find me on Facebook, or follow me on Twitter.  Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment