Sunday, April 1, 2012

All About Me

Hey everyone!  My name is Merrill and I am currently a first-year student at Saint Michael's College in Colchester, Vermont.  Before coming to college, I lived in a tiny town called Mont Vernon in the good old state of New Hampshire.  I absolutely loved living in New Hampshire and, to be honest, I didn't really want to leave.  However, after almost a full year away from home, I can honestly say my decision to come to St. Mike's was one of the best decisions of my life.  After the normal adjusting period that every new college student goes through, I have found that I fit right in with the people here and I LOVE all of the great friends I've made. (Special shoutout to my roommate Emma, my friend Alex (you may have seen my name mentioned on her blog a few times), and my awesome friends Caitlin and Vick! <3)

So why Saint Mike's?  I was first introduced by my uncle who is actually an SMC alum.  He told me that a huge reason he came to SMC was because his best friend was here, and he really didn't know too much about the school.  Even still, he absolutely loved his time here.  So I figured that if my uncle could love the school without initially knowing too much about it, I could love it too.

My most memorable visit to Saint Mike's was last March.  My mom and I traveled up from New Hampshire on a Sunday night, hoping to catch a Mass before heading to our hotel.  Unfortunately, the snowy weather changed our plans a bit.  Once we finally made it to our hotel, we settled in and hoped that there wouldn't be too much snow when we woke up in the morning. (I personally LOVE snow, but I didn't want there to be so much that I couldn't get to the Academic Preview Day I planned on attending!)  Much to our surprise, there was at least twenty inches of snow when we woke up.  With the help of some very nice hotel employees, we were able to shovel enough snow for us to get our car out of its parking space.  When we were on our way, I called SMC to tell them we would be a little late, and the extremely nice woman at the front desk told me that the day had actually been cancelled (because of all the snow) but we were still welcome to come if we could make it.  My mom and I decided that since we had already traveled all this way, we should at least drive through the beautiful campus.  Once we got there, we ended up staying for a good portion of the day because the students and faculty quickly put together a mock-preview day for everyone that was able to attend.  Here's a picture of my mom and me in the car when we finally got to campus:


And here's a picture of the snowy parking lot!


The day was extremely informative and I was so glad my mom and I were able to make it.  As an added bonus, everyone at SMC was so grateful to those who were able to attend that they decided to give us $100 off our tuition deposit in recognition of the time and money we spent in order to make it to campus.

Obviously, I  decided to come to Saint Mike's and I am so happy with the decision I made!  I will definitely blog again soon about my personal transition to college life.  Feel free to ask me any questions and follow me on Twitter!

PS - quick shoutout to my blog inspiration, Alex, for encouraging me to start one of my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment